[thelist] .htaccess

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Wed Nov 9 09:41:50 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 06:23:19PM +0300, L. Mohan Arun wrote:
>  I am looking to "retire" some old URLs from a site transparently so that
> their Google PR's are maintained. The HTTP request coming in should be
> transparently routed to the new site's corresponding page. The old site is
> on Apache with .htaccess. The domains are different. Can somebody point me
> to a simple to understand tutorial on understanding and editing the
> .htaccess file to do this?

All you should need is a line like this for each URL:

Redirect permanent /path/to/old_file.html http://www.newdomain.com/new/file.html

The "permanent" part should make sure that Apache returns a 301 status
code with the new URL so that search engines know to pick up the new
page instead.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory