[thelist] Automatically updating copyright date in JavaScript - fallback?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 10:31:20 CST 2005

--- "Kowalkowski, Lee (ASPIRE)" <lee.kowalkowski at hmrcaspire.com> wrote:

> Eh?  What's the point in giving your copyright a date range?  Copyright
> should have a single date, the date of first publication.

You know how it is - we do what legal tells us to do.

> Dunno where you are, so:
> http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html (US Law)

I'm in the U.S., I've forwarded this to a legal contact for their review.

> What's the purpose of expressing a date range when copyright's duration is
> relative to the date you die?  Or the date of creation or first publication
> for "works made for hire", whatever that means.

I'm hardly a lawyer nor do I understand any of this - my main concern is the code. I hope it's
true we don't need a range, then we can leave the originating date hard coded and remove the
script altogether - removing a maintenance issue.

Tom

http://www.pixelmech.com/
"I was in a convenience store reading a magazine and the clerk came up to me and said "This is not a library". so I said, "All right, I will talk louder then!"