[thelist] Your favourite site backup utility?

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Sat Nov 12 12:08:00 CST 2005

We've just had a hard drive crash on one of our servers. Good thing that we
backup hourly. Still, it's a pain in the butt, and a reminder that
redundancy is good. I've been looking at a *lot* of automated utilities for
backing up sites, and I'd like to get your opinion on what your favourite
one is.

My server is linux, my backup machine is PC. I'd like to backup the whole
server's worth of sites on a site-per-site basis, and the ability to
compress would be nice. Bonus if the utility can also dump the mysql
database to an sql file in the site archive. I suspect that I might be
looking at a php+ chron job, but thought that it might be nice to have an
all-in-one that runs on my PC.

What have you tried that you like? What do you recommend that I stay clear of?

Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.