[thelist] Your favourite site backup utility?

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Mon Nov 14 13:30:20 CST 2005

> On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 13:08 -0500, Frank wrote:
>> My server is linux, my backup machine is PC.

Shawn K. Quinn scribeva in 2005-11-14 18:21:
> First... GNU/Linux, you mean?
>
> Second, PC running what OS? PC just means what kind of hardware it is.

Shawn, as it seems you have missed it:

1. when people speak about "linux" they DO refer to "GNU/Linux" - if
somebody is using different kind of "linux", they will tell it.

2. when people speak about "PC", they DO refer to Windows - if somebody
uses "PC" to describe a personal computer running something else than
Windows, they will tell it.

It is fine and good to be precise. But it's even finer to forgive
inaccurate names for operating systems and concentrate on the real
question at hand.

.k

<tip type="Directory symbolic links, NTFS">

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of
C:\A very\long path\to the directory\you are using\all the time\
you had this
C:\nice symlink\

For this and many other highly practical uses, check out:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

</tip>