[thelist] MySQL COUNT() question

Aron Lurie alurie at hebrewcollege.edu
Mon Nov 14 19:14:02 CST 2005

Hey, I have a MySQL problem that is posing a severe challenge to me regarding COUNT().
Right now I have the following code:

select CONCAT(fpe.fname,' ',fpe.lname) fullname,
 pe.alias,
 fce.Course,
 COUNT(*) student_num
from f05people fpe,
 f05classes fce,
 people pe,
 f05studentsched fss
where pe.hcid=fpe.hcid
 and pe.alias=fce.Faculty
 and fpe.Faculty='Yes'
 and fce.Branch='HC-Tuesday'
 and fce.period='1'
 and fss.period='1'
 and fss.branch='HC-Tuesday'
 and fss.teacher = pe.alias
 group by fss.branch, fss.teacher,fss.period order by fce.Faculty ASC;

This works fine so far returning all the values I want, however...

The problem is that I want another COUNT(*) column that is grouped by a different set of fields in a different table. Is there a way to have two group by statements? How would I do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aron Lurie
alurie [at] hebrewcollege [dot] edu