[thelist] merging a dictionary to sql table

Alex Beston alex at deltatraffic.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 01:53:56 CST 2005

 hi Kirill,

>It's interesting what is the structure of the dictionary file?
>("ENGLDICT.TXT")

ok heres a sample:

AAAS
aardvark
aardvarks
Aarhus
Aaron
Ababa
aback
abacterial
abacus

and so on

>Probably better use another function file();
>
>This function creates the array from the file with lines.
>
>$linesarray = file("ENGLDICT.TXT")

yup agreed.

>And the next question:
>
>Do you have this file "ENGLDICT.TXT" in the same directory? (case-sensitive)
>
>Try check if file open or not.

 yes, pretty sure we're ok there, but good point.  im not getting a
filenot found type error.

and Matt:

> I suspect your $query here isn't what you think it is.

thinks your right there.

> Have you output
its value?

> mysql_query($foo) or die(mysql_error());

ok just added this. i now have this:

hereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereYou
have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to
your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's'' at line 1

using this:

    while (!feof($handle)) {
    echo "here";
        $buffer = trim(fgets($handle, 4096));
        $query_string = "SELECT word FROM word_list WHERE word =
'$buffer'";
        $result = mysql_query ($query_string) or die(mysql_error());
        if(!$result){
            echo "there";
            $query = "INSERT into word_list(word) VALUES ('$buffer')";
            mysql_query($query);

I suspect i have some dodgy characters in the source word list

> define(TEST_MODE, true);
> mysql_query($foo) or (TEST_MODE and die(mysql_error()));

neat tip ! thanks!

A.