[thelist] Employee database tool

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Nov 16 10:09:18 CST 2005

Chris Heilmann asked:

>>Is there a good open source Database tool out there?

>>We have the employee name and up to five categories/sections
>>he or she belongs to. Both should be searchable

Hi Chris,

Que?  Those requirements seem kinda light for a pre-packaged app.  You
might find something like that in a language tutorial or classroom
homework project, but then again you might spend more time looking for
it that it would take to build.

Might be easiest just to whip up a MySQL or PostgreSQL table to hold the
data,
a screen [form] (in PHP or your flavour du jour) to grab the user input,
create the dynamic SQL server-side, pick off the data and display it in
a formatted table.

I think I'd be more worried about the 'phase 2 requirements' ... cuz
once you have this working they'll be back asking for the "other 99% of
all possible  HR/Payroll/Tax/Training capabilities" for the following
week!

HTH,

RonL.