[thelist] insert if select fails to find element

Alex Beston alex at deltatraffic.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 00:53:01 CST 2005

hi List

heres my code i want to optimise:

// $dictionary has 100,000 elements
// open link
while($word = array_pop($dictionary)){
    // check we dont have this word already in our store
    $query_string = "SELECT word FROM word_list WHERE word = '$word'";
    $result = mysql_query ($query_string) or die(mysql_error());

    if(!mysql_num_rows($result)){
        $query = "INSERT into word_list(word) VALUES ('$word')";
        mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error()); ;
        $counter++;
    }
}
// close link

is there a way of putting all the work on the sql - something like

""INSERT into word_list(word) VALUES ('$word')" IF ('$word') NOT EXISTS";

something like that. so have one query rather than two.

i've seen this before but i cant remember the syntax...

ta

Alex

--

  deltatraffic.co.uk