[thelist] online poll

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Nov 17 04:30:42 CST 2005

Mike wrote:
> I would like to set up a poll on my website. Preferably php-based.
> Advanced poll http://www.proxy2.de/poll/index.php looks like a good
> solution. Any other recommendations?

Considering your other recent posts, I suggest you look at digging into
a CMS.  You'll find things like polls, forums and often wiki, rolled
into one unified system.  Mambo/Joomla[0] is a popular option,
Drupal/CivicSpace[1][2] is also quite popular (and it's what Evolt.org
runs).  OpenSourceCMS[3] has an exhaustive listing of mostly-free open
source options, and links to demos for a bunch of em.

The biggest hurdle with CMSs is the learning curve to get a grasp on how
to make them do what you[r client] need[s].  In my experience the
available online help for most open source CMS apps is inadequate.
However there seems to be a crop of tutorial books on working with 'em
popping up lately.  Search Amazon for "drupal" and you'll see what I
mean.  (Drupal is an unusual search word, so you'll get pretty good
results with the related books).

[0] http://www.mamboserver.com/
[1] http://www.drupal.org/
[2] http://www.civicspacelabs.com/