[thelist] Relative vs. Absolute pathing question (possibly IISrelated)

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Nov 17 19:35:20 CST 2005

/images will always reference the root of the website.

If the developer is using a directory off the root of the website (and
marking that as an application root), then perhaps on his/her folder
structure, the /images folder isn't located off the root of the application.
But that's a problem for the developer to solve if they aren't using an
environment that mimicks production.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Tom Dell'Aringa
Sent: Friday, 18 November 2005 10:15 AM
To: thelist
Subject: [thelist] Relative vs. Absolute pathing question (possibly
IISrelated)

Hi folks,

We're working with an outside agency who is developing in .Net. We are
implementing part of their
code on WebLogic (JSPs) due to a story too long to tell. For their images
(and other paths as
well) they are using:

src="..images/image.gif"

Which works fine in their environment. However, when WebLogic needs to grab
an image, the ../ is
not relative. We have to call /images/ instead. So, I asked them to change
all the references
since the images dir resides in the root anyway.

Their developer comes back and tells me it doesn't work for him. Since when
is /images/ not mean
the root in IIS or .Net? Furthermore, isn't using relative paths far less
scaleable? If I decide
to move pages around with the relative path I'm in trouble. If I'm always
pointing to the root
where the images dir always is, I have no problem.

Is there something I am missing here? I am at home at cannot test our local
version of what they
delivered, but it seems like he's nuts or I've missed something. When I
changed their relative
paths for the stylesheet and JS files, it all worked just fine.

TIA

Tom

http://www.pixelmech.com/