[thelist] discussion forum

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Thu Nov 17 22:05:25 CST 2005

Ken Schaefer wrote:

> Well, I agree that there isn't evidence that it crashes very much, so that's
> FUD.

Since I brought it up....

I'm only stating from personal experience.  I believe the version I was
using at the time was 2.0.3.  I think they are up to 2.0.18 now.  So,
there have been a plethora of fixes since.

Losing the board once, understandable.  Things crash.  That's why we do
back-ups :)  But when it crashed the 2nd time not too long after, I
didn't even bother looking for my tar.gz backup...  I went looking for
some more stable software.  I've had 0 issues in almost 2.5 years now
with invisionboard on a high-traffic 800,000-1,000,000 page views a
month site.

> http://secunia.com/search/?search=phpBB

The only recent mention of a hole in invision is here:
http://secunia.com/advisories/17443/

and the solution states to upgrade to the latest version, 2.1.3, thus
leaving no outstanding known holes.

As an aside:  when i switched, my bandwidth also had a DRAMATIC drop.
In fact, today, with MANY more users since then (probably 4x the
traffic) I'm still transferring under 50gb a month.  I was hitting
60-70GB a month all the time on phpbb.  Something to keep in mind if you
have a smaller box or limited plan.