[thelist] Relative vs. Absolute pathing question (possiblyIISrelated)

Mark Rees mrees at itsagoodprice.com
Fri Nov 18 03:12:44 CST 2005

Ken:
> /images will always reference the root of the website.
>
> If the developer is using a directory off the root of the website (and
> marking that as an application root), then perhaps on his/her folder
> structure, the /images folder isn't located off the root of the
application.
> But that's a problem for the developer to solve if they aren't using an
> environment that mimicks production.

The problem could perhaps be solved using a virtual directory in IIS. This
is like a path translation - you can set up a virtual directory called
/images/ and point it to /folder1/folder2/folder3/images. Then in code you
can refer to /images/image.jpg and IIS will look for that file in the folder
referenced above.

OP: