[thelist] Hosting at Home

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Thu Nov 24 06:11:20 CST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Hershel Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, 23 November 2005 10:59 PM
To: Thelist
Subject: [thelist] Hosting at Home

I am considering the possibility of setting up a xAMP server in my house

and putting there a website.

Something tells me that this is foolhardy however and if I have little
experience with servers and firewalls, it is not wise to open even a
single port of mine and let the world into my LAN. Maybe someone will
talk me out of this?

If you only have port 80 open to the server, that's a good start. Make
sure your router's firmware is up to date. Possibly consider a cheap box
running say Open BSD or Smoothwall as a firewall between your router and
network.

But really? I have Windows/Apache running on a cable modem and I get a
lot of crap thrown at it, but the single biggest thing I've done is make
sure I use the php.ini-recommended, and put stuff like phpMyAdmin/etc in
either non-common directories, or (better) set up your .htaccess to
allow access to anything like that - ie anything you don't explicitly
want public - to require authentication if not originating from
localhost/local network.

Rob