[thelist] Hosting at Home

Zeljko Dakic mlist at dakic.com
Wed Nov 23 10:49:16 CST 2005

On the contrary my friend, I think you should have you website at home.
I love shared hosting and it is fine but there are advantages for home
server as well. Instead of trying to guess what you want and how you
want it setup here is my setup.

First I have dynamic dns and use no-ip.net for managing domains, it's
been a while and everything works great. I have a router with firewall
(I am sure you do as well) and have it setup to open port 80 for
webserver. Now webserver is a used machine I bought for $60 on
craiglist, installed fedora3 and now 4 and everythings works great, it
is not that big hassle to setup, although even for native linux apps,
they are more demanding to setup and will take you more time on linux
than in windows. If we had not have a power loss during storm two months
ago, this server would have impressive uptime by now.

I would advise you if you can, to use separate machine and install
linux, it is a lot of fun and helps with a security. And you can have
XAMP there as well.

Regards,
Zeljko Dakic