[thelist] what IS a webmaster??

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 17:14:18 CST 2005

bill wrote:

> Can some of you share with me what your idea of what a 'webmaster'
> is? And in your capacity of managing or developing sites, what are
> the job titles and what is the hierarchy of those positions?
> Secondly, is there stuff I can read (preferably for free on the web)
> that can give me some insight about how to approach this task of
> conveying what it is we all do?

This may be purely a personal thing, or perhaps a UK thing, but to me
the term "webmaster" is extremely dated and in my experience is not a
term heard in either professional, agency or corporate circles.

It carries connotations of nineties home pages.

This is not in any way to denigrate the work involved in your position;
I just don't think it's a professional term for a job title.

Alternatives are countless; in your shoes, I'd be interested in the role
being titled something like "Website Manager", which gives ample scope
for adding positions below it in the org chart and is not exclusively
techie.

In defining your current role, I'd be keeping a weather eye to the sort
of position you'd like to move into for your next job - the job title
itself is rather important, I suspect.

Or, perhaps I am making too much of it. Anyway - good luck

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net