[thelist] design question, copyright, etc.

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Wed Nov 23 19:02:48 CST 2005

On 23 Nov 2005 at 15:28, Charles Stuart wrote:
[...]
> I'm designing a website for a local UPS Store. I'm concerned about
> the legalities, etc. of creating a similar design to the corporate
> design. The local store of course wants a similar design. I would
> assume the UPS Store has a policy on this, however I've never been in
> this situation so I was wondering if anyone had any advise before
> proceeding.

in your agreement, do you note that the client is responsible for
obtaining style guides and/or permission from the parent? and that if
they assure you they have permission, you are to be held harmless in
case of otherwise?

regardless, i would suspect that UPS has its own style guide and that
if you contacted them (with the blessing of the client) that you
could get your hands on it or at least some direction...

after all, they *should* look similar -- reinforce the brand, don't
dilute it...

if they can give you the contact they use to get their
marketing/branding materials, you have an opportunity to expose
yourself (in a good way, not the bad way that happens on trains) to
the parent organization -- which, if you're a good salesman, can be A
Good Thing...

to summarize:
 - get permission from the local to contact the corporate...
 - contact the corporate for the style guide...