[thelist] Verisign's 128 bit SSL Certs $995?

Maisha Walker maisha at e-vent.org
Wed Nov 23 20:02:21 CST 2005

Can anyone with expertise on SSL comment on Verisign's $995 price tag as
compared to many many other companies that offer certs for $89-$130?

I read Verisign's explanation which I've pasted below.

"A lot of companies advertise 128-bit certificates, but they don't have SGC.
What is the difference between VeriSign's SSL Certificates and those of
other providers?
Non-SGC SSL Certificates provide a minimum of 40-bit and typically up to
128-bit SSL encryption. Site visitors using certain older browsers and many
Windows 2000 systems using Internet Explorer users will only receive 40- or
56-bit encryption unless they're connecting to an SGC-enabled SSL
Certificate. Other SSL providers claim to offer "128-bit certificates," but
they do not offer 128-bit SSL encryption to the most possible site visitors.
VeriSign (including its subsidiaries, affiliates, and resellers) is the only
leading SSL provider with SGC-enabled SSL Certificates, which provide 128-
or 256-bit encryption to over 99.9% of Web site visitors. (SGC: Strongest
SSL Encryption.)"

Has anyone had experiences where Verisign's technology has proven to be the
better bet and worth the extra $865?

I'm doing my due diligence to make sure that I offer my small business
clients the best advice.

Many thanks,
Maisha