[thelist] what IS a webmaster?? THANKS!

bill bill at first-encounter-design.com
Mon Nov 28 12:12:24 CST 2005

Thanks Marc (and Chris, Ron and Ian) for your thoughtful responses to my
question.

It seems like the general feeling is that 'webmaster' is a, according to Ian
at least (and I agree), a dated term for a website manager. And also a term
used by people -- in my case the Board of Directors who  --  not
understanding the technology, jobs and skills involved -- lump together
everything it takes to keep the website up, running, looking good and
current, under the term 'webmaster'.

As you stated below, Marc, the nonprofit I work for is a small, sorely
underfunded group that naturally wants to get the best virtual face it can
to get its message across without expending resources it doesn't have. We're
at a place now, though, where we need to start thinking about renumeration
in some form -- preferably cash :-) -- in order to stay up and running.
Also, as a volunteer, it's helpful for me to define for the Board what the
distinct elements are that go into planning, building and maintaining a
site. That would allow me to do more of the part of the job I especially
like more effectively and provide a framework for them (and me) to either
find other volunteers to fill certain roles or have specific roles defined
if we need to contract out or hire someone in the future.

It seems the most flexibility in describing to the Board what it is I do
would come from defining my role, as was suggested by just about everyone
who responded, as a managerial position responsible for overall planning,
developing standards and practices and  overseeing the tasks involved in our
staying up and functioning. In effect, that's what I've been doing, except
that as the manager I've been supervising myself in several roles -- not
always a great setup for anyone involved!

So, again, thanks to all who've responded. I'm off to do some job
description writing, now.