[thelist] MSSQL: adding integer to time yields date?

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Mon Nov 28 18:05:40 CST 2005

> Same way as you are currently doing it.  Just don't rely on the
> day/month/year in the result unless the original time includes a
> day/month/year portion.  :-)

Somehow I feel like I'm not being clear enough in my question.

The day/month/year *is* the result. All it returns is '12/31/1899' - no
time portion whatsoever.

I can't see how that's a meaningful answer to the math problem '8:00PM'
+ 4.0.

The original time will always include a day/month/year portion because
MSSQL only has two date/time data types, 'datetime' and 'smalldatetime'.
If you want a date-only field, you populate the date only, and the time
defaults to 0:00. If you want a time-only field, you populate only the
time, and the date defaults to '1901-01-01'

According to SQL BOL, that's just how it works. But it still doesn't
answer my question.

I'm not trying to be difficult; really I'm not. I'm just confused.

joel