[thelist] [OT] how to grant a commercial license.

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 03:29:54 CST 2005

> Just to make clear: even if you allow your products to be used in
> commercial environment, you are not charging for them?

Well  I will charge (a fair amount) of money for commercial use. My
products are currently not my primary job function: So I do not aim to
gain money for their uncommercial use.

However if someone earns money through them I think it would be right
to request a fair amount of money back. I don't talk about thousands
of dollars here. Just a fair amount for the work and effort I put
forward.

Of course this money will not be for the sole product. I will grant my
license for a bundle of products of services. I have not decided the
exact conditions but I think it will be a bundle of some
documentation, usage examples and some extra stuff that is not
published on the web plus some support may be.

Plus, I probably will not use it personally; rather I will use the
money for hosting, space and db expenses. This may also make decide to
remove the sponsor site's ads etc.

> If you are giving them away for free, why don't your relase them under
> some open source license?

Well that's the point. I don't want to give a commercial use for free.
I may decrease the amount I request depending on the terms of course;
for instance I may request a visible link back plus some small
donation I dunno. Just thinking aloud...

> And if you want to quickly add something there, have a look how others
> are licensing, for example Sam Stephenson's prototype
> http://dev.conio.net/repos/prototype/

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

> > After this much introduction my questions are:
>
> Oops, I answered before questions :-)

Thank youf for your response anyway, it helped me gain more insight on
the issue.

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik