[thelist] CSS - sliding doors method and image flicker problem in IE

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 18:39:22 CST 2005

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using a sliding doors method for some rollovers. Works in all
> browsers, but IE has an awful time with the rollover, I get a the
> flash of the background color, then the image load every single time.
> Looks like garbage.

Is this due to the preferences setting for how often to check pages? I
used to think this was a limitation of CSS rollovers, but I had IE
checking for updated web content on every visit to the page.

If you look at Tools > Internet options > (Temporary Internet Files -
Settings), is "Check for newer versions of stored pages" set to "Every
visit to the page" or "Automatically"?

The default is automatically, and I think many people doing web design
change it to every visit, and see this apparent problem.

HTH

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net