[thelist] SEO for small Local customer base

Garth Hagerman hagerman at mcn.org
Wed Nov 30 18:50:17 CST 2005

> First, do people really go to the internet to find a local insurance
> agent?
Sure. "Local" is the key word here. It's not hard at all to imagine
significant numbers of people doing a search for "insurance Podunk, KY"
or some such.

> Second, would they be able to find one local agent out of 100,000's
> listed
> in directories and with their own sites?
You must be in a mighty big city.

In my experience, it doesn't take a lot  of SEO work to rank highly on
real specific searches like that, and the likely customers are exactly
the ones doing those real specific searches. Just make sure you have a
reasonable amount of original content with relevant keywords about the
city, state, neighborhood, region, business  specialties, etc.  in
headlines, title tags, and body text. Get enough links pointed at the
site to get a Pagerank of 4 or so. Nothing fancy, just the basics. The
point of diminishing returns will be easily reached, but it's worth a
little bit of work.

         Garth