[thelist] CSS in HTML E-mail?

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Wed Dec 14 13:38:47 CST 2005

> I need to create an HTML e-mail and received some
> samples of the kind of thing that is needed. They were
> quite well done, but I was somewhat surprised to see
> CSS used for the font styles etc.
>
> Is that a good idea? That is, can the various e-mail
> clients be relied upon to handle CSS correctly (or at
> all), or is it safer to use basic HTML for e-mail?

I refer you to a post from 12/1/2005:

<tip type="HTML Mail in Browser-Based Email Clients" author="Hershel
Robinson">
HTML mail does not render as expected in many browser-based email
clients, including some fairly popular ones. Two resources with research
on this subject:

http://www.eroi.com/resources/testing-email-in-gmail-hotmail.htm

http://www.lyris.com/resources/articles/200510say_it_with_style.html

</tip>

and one from 12/2/2005:

It's a bit complicated. See these resources:

<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssemail/>
<http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=StyleInEmail>
<http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt6/email-client-summary.htm>
<http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt8/email_format_preferences.htm>