[thelist] flash or DHTML for slide show ? was basic flashtutorial (for photo "slideshow")

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 16 19:40:23 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 09:23 +0700, Bird wrote:
> Aside from what I know, is it a general consensus that it would be
> better to serve up slideshows these days in flash rather than using
> JavaScript? I have not done much work for the past couple of years due
> to the kids and now its time to refresh and get up to date again.

Really, either is fine if you have alternative content for when Flash or
Javascript (respectively) are unavailable. However, it's probably easier
to make a Javascript version which gracefully transforms than a Flash
version, as for the latter I think you would have to translate the
entire Flash movie content back into an HTML version (which Macromedia
may have purposefully made difficult to do).

Another reason to go the Javascript route is it's based on an open
standard (from ECMA) while Flash is not.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>