[thelist] challenging layout...any ideas?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 01:55:52 CST 2005

Tom,

imho, your isometric desing may be achieved much easily with flash.

For the HTML / js case, imho it may be done with sniffing the mouse coordinates

I mean something like:

function detectCollision(mouseX, mouseY){
    //1. detect whcih isometric grid contains your mouse coords,

   //2. change the background image for that grid.
}

Although step 1 is a though challange by itself, I am sure there are
dozens of papers (related to numerical methods, collision detection
etc) which propose an algorithm for it.

Also you have to exactly know the pixel coordianted of your isometric
grid's corners to be able to detect a collision.

As I said it's easier with flash anyways, but it'll be a good JS challange.
If only I had some time I would be excited to give it a try.

Hope I got your point correct.

HTH
--
Volkan Ozcelik