[thelist] Retrieving OLE File from Access DB with Classic ASP

Chris evolt at cubeit.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 06:02:32 CST 2005

Sorry, lack of explanation is because I hadn't written any code to try and
pull the PDF from the database as I don't know how.

I just had a play and the following code [left out the database connection
bits] will open the PDF in the browser [IE and Mozilla]:

Response.Buffer = True
Response.ContentType = oRs("fldFileType")
Response.BinaryWrite oRs("fldBinaryData")

I was looking for an option to force the browser to download the data.
There are plenty of examples of streaming a file from the filesystem but not
for lifting binary data from a database then streaming it to the browser.

I've tried using:

Dim objStream, myContents, myFileName

myFileName = "file.txt"

Response.AddHeader "content-disposition", "attachment; filename=" &
myFileName

Set objStream = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")

objStream.Open
myContents = oRs("fldBinaryData")

Response.BinaryWrite myContents

objStream.Close
Set objStream = Nothing

The ADODB Stream does not like being set to the database field and throws a
type mismatch error.  I suspect it will only work being fed a file from the
filesystem.

Thanks for the help so far.