[thelist] PHP & UTF-8

Noah St. Amand noah at tookish.net
Tue Dec 20 15:29:56 CST 2005

Hi Hassan,

Hassan Schroeder wrote (12/20/05 4:12 PM):
> Doing something like `ALTER TABLE foo CHARSET=utf8` will NOT change
> the individual fields -- use SHOW CREATE TABLE foo to confirm. And
> don't ask me why it doesn't :-)
>
> In the past, I've just used ALTER TABLE to change each text column
> *individually* as required.

Thanks for that. I also found this after I wrote the previous message:

<http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?103,26163,26163>

Which says:

-----
Note that the following command doesn't convert anything.

ALTER TABLE table_name DEFAULT CHARACTER SET = utf8;

If you want to convert the table definition and data of the existing
table, do

ALTER TABLE table_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8;
-----

Maybe useful in the future.

Cheers,
--