[thelist] Exact Printing of Sites (long-ish)

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Wed Dec 21 12:24:39 CST 2005

On 21 Dec 2005 at 18:15, Jeffery To wrote:
[...]
> Second, is there a business case against exact printing? I have a
> feeling that people only print webpages when they need to read the
> content offline, but are there any statistics or studies on this? If I
> can't make browsers print perfectly then I'm going to need numbers to
> convince management.

some anecdotal ones, based on client feedback, experience, and
watching my parents... some of these are almost quotes...

- hard-coded page widths can cause content to fall off the printed
page on the right edge, or to be so narrow that paper is being
wasted...

- colors may look great on screen, but on my black-and-white laser or
bubblejet, they can look pretty bad...

- colors and large images may be pretty, but i really don't want to
blow *all* of my cyan toner on your home page when i just want to get
the address to hand to my secretary...

- plug-ins don't always print so well...

- depending on how font sizes are set, they can be way too big or way
too small when printed...

- depending how the page is coded, sometimes my header prints on one
page, then my content starts on another page, and then my footer
appears on its own page when i print it... i hate that waste of
paper...

- what good do links do me in print?

- we have clients who use A4, and clients who use 8.5x11"... which
one is correct?

- why do images look all jaggy when i print them?

and so on...