[thelist] Guest Book Email - Spamming a Form Page

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 08:15:55 CST 2005

On 12/29/05, Sam Carter <sam at iness.com> wrote:
> I've got a "Guest Book" email page which began to receive spam a year
> ago.  To circumvent the problem, I coded the "Submit" button using a
> JavaScript.
>
> The spam levels have increased to the point where I need to devise
> another solution.  I'm considering the "enter the digitis in the
> graphic", but first: is there a better solution to this problem?

There are several, all with their pros but most with a lot of cons:
http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=203

My personal fave is the quiz thing. I will use that on my blog soon,
but so far filtering for common spam terms and testing if the loading
of the page and the submission has a sufficient difference in time
helps with most clumsy spam.

Making your page dependent on JavaScript is not a security measure but
means you love to share your problems with your visitors.

The days of guestbooks is over, thanks to spammers.