[thelist] ASP logic problem - deleting record

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Thu Dec 29 11:26:57 CST 2005

> That's how I've got it. I don't have an option yet for
> recurring events,
> but I'd still associate a date with each occurrence, since as
> you point
> out, that's really how most people think of the date of an event; as
> part of the event, not part of a series of dates. It's the
> event itself
> that's perceived as part of the series.

Good point, and one I've wrestled with since the beginning. The problem for
me is that a great number of the events are recurring in the extreme. I have
one committee meeting that occurs once a week, and many others that occur
twice a month. That is the bulk of the calendar. I also have one-off events
that are more like normal calendar events.

Entering in an event 26 or 52 times versus once is the reason I initially
separated the date from the event. Having the ability to edit that one event
and have it apply to all the times that event occurs is also very helpful.

I'm beginning to think I should just attach the date to the event table and
add functionality to the admin section to replicate an existing event with a
new date to blunt some of the tedium of entering in an event multiple times.
Editing existing events would still be a pain in the ass though.

> I'd be glad to share my code and logic with you once I've got phase I
> buttoned down, and I'd love to see what you've done to see if we can
> both come up with a better tool.

I'd be happy to share my code, but I'll warn you I'm not a programmer by
training and much of what I've done is by trial and error and probably not
up to best practices! :)

I consider what I've done as version 1. V2 will almost certainly involve
rewriting most of what I've done, probably in ASP.NET.

Ron