[thelist] PHP Modules and Licensing

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Thu Jan 12 07:07:09 CST 2006

I am beginning to build now a LAMP web app. It is a database-driven
user-authenticated app in the area of finance/business. I had chosen the
following tools:

DB Abstraction Layer:

I had wanted to use:

http://adodblite.sourceforge.net/

but now that I read the license it appears that the GNU Lesser GPL
license does not allow this package to be distributed as part of a
commercial product. I like the approach of this tool in certain issues
regarding return set traversion. Looks like I will need to rethink this
choice, however, as the software I am building is intended to be
commercial, i.e. for sale.

There are lots of options out there for DB abstracting--I want one that
is simple, lightweight, and easy to use.

Templating:

I had also planned to use:

http://www.phpsavant.com/

but I see that it, too, uses LGPL and thus will not be viable. For PHP
templating, there are even more options than for DB abstraction--I again
  am a fan of simple, lightweight, and easy to use--I like to start with
good, simple tools, and then expand them myself if necessary. I have
used Smarty and, while it works, I find it slow and it itself comes with
its own little scripting language, which seems unnecessary--I prefer the
approach of Savant that the templating language is PHP itself.

User Authentication:

I was looking at AdminPro class from phpclasses.org:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/1830.html

but it's also GPL and thus not feasible.

I have never before had much reason to read licenses closely, as I
haven't been in this decision-making position before. Time to learn now...

Any ideas on the above ramblings are welcome.

Thanks,
Hershel