[thelist] PHP Modules and Licensing

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Thu Jan 12 09:45:38 CST 2006

>> but now that I read the license it appears that the GNU Lesser GPL
>> license does not allow this package to be distributed as part of a
>> commercial product. ...  Looks like I will need to rethink this
>> choice, however, as the software I am building is intended to be
>> commercial, i.e. for sale.
>
> Two approaches come into mind.
>
> If the GPL program is not a *part* of your program, but your program
> *uses* the GPL program, then there are no problems. What is a part and
> what can be seen as use is a different question though...

I see. Someone offline also clarified for me greatly this issue. Seems
that if I make use of a library, like Savant2 or Smarty, then I can
package that library with my software and sell it. Seems however that my
software's copyright must mention that fact that it includes GPL software.

I don't intend to pick on anyone, but xcart's license here:

http://www.x-cart.com/software_license_agreement.html

does not mention GPL, yet they package Smarty with their product. In the
Smarty files that come with xcart the copyright clearly says: GNU Lesser
General Public License.

So is xcart technically required to include this on the above HTML page
(which is the same text that ships as the copyright of their product) or
am I misunderstanding something?

> Or you could relase your program under GPL too. Obviously you couldn't
> charge for the software itself, but you can always charge for the work
> of making it. This would work well for highly client specific software,
> i.e. one-off products. For systems intended for mass distribution this
> is such a good approach I'd guess :-)

Not a good idea, no. At least not for me. :)

Thanks,
Hershel