[thelist] .NET 2.0, Events and AJAX

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 08:48:49 CST 2006

> A colleague has suggested that it should be possible. I cannot
> understand how this *would* be possible - given the fact that AJAX or
> not, we would still be using HTTP which requires a request from the
> client to get a response from the server.

To *physically* alter the HTML file (assuming that what you mention is
good old html
 not a server-side aspx page), you will need a write access to that
file for the anonymouse web user account (which can rise some security
issues, may be).

Here is a simple scenario:

-Users display HTML page by entering the URL,
-clicks somewhere to trigger edit action client-side (such as a heading)
-the heading transforms into a textbox via a dom magic. next to it
there are two buttons (GO) and (CANCEL)
-pressing go would update the page and triggers and Update_Header
script on the server side via an Ajax request.

Thus the view is updated on the client and the file is updated
physically on the server as well.

I did not consider concurrency / multithreading and other exceptional
situations.

HTH,
--
Volkan Ozcelik