[thelist] tip: use other search engines

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Thu Jan 26 12:08:29 CST 2006

On 26 Jan 2006 at 10:49, Ken Moore wrote:
[...]
> >don't confuse the bottom line with morality... if it's too expensive
> >to do business because of corruption, you back out.. you just spin it
> >as a moral decision instead of a financial one...
> >
> >if there was money to be made, i'm sure they'd be there...
[...]
> In the mean time, aardvark, remind me not to do business with you or with
> anyone else who "confuse the bottom line with morality".

frankly, you've missed my point... the only thing that statement
should say about me is that i am either realistic or cynical...

<tip type="JavaScript">
Changing the display property of an element via script to hide/show
it? Does that element happen to be a table, table row, table cell, or
list item for example?

You may have noticed that setting one of these elements to
display:none hides it, but how do you get it back? In IE, you can use
display:block, but Firefox will pull those out of the document flow
and display them as blocks, not as the element they are supposed to
be. For example, you'd need to use one of the following in Firefox:

document.getElementById('foo').style.display="table-row";
document.getElementById('foo').style.display="table-cell";
document.getElementById('foo').style.display="table";
document.getElementById('foo').style.display="list-item";

When setting an element of that nature to reappear, don't use
display:block or sniff the browser, just pass a blank value:

document.getElementById('foo').style.display="";

Firefox and IE will both make a best-guess and display the element as
it should be displayed. No need to browser or element sniff to
determine which is the right display property.
</tip>