[thelist] SQL Server "K

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Jan 26 17:31:36 CST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Arthur Maloney
Sent: Friday, 27 January 2006 5:14 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] SQL Server "K

> I've got a damaged install. The client tools/engine
> aren't there.
> There is some sort of broken installer that prevents
> a new clean install.
>
> If I re-boot/re-start the broken installer still tells
> me to re-start.
>
> Does any body know how to fix it. (Install is client
> tools/MSDE on a Laptop Windows XP SP2)

Fix what? We don't know what the actual problem is.

a) SQL Server setup creates a logfile (setupsql.log if I recall correctly in
your Windows directory). Perhaps you could post the last 10-15 lines of that
file so we can have a look to see where the installer might be dying?

b) Have you tried uninstalling everything before reinstalling?

c) I'm not sure what the exact error message is that you are getting. If
there are pending file rename entries, you will probably find them in:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

For pending MSI repairs, you may find entries in:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress

Do you see anything under either of those two registry keys?

Cheers
Ken