[thelist] XML as poor man's database?

Mike Roy michaelproy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 11:10:57 CST 2006

> I am in the process of customizing a page to display her products.
> 1) What risks am I taking in using XML?  Are there browser and browser version compatibility issues?

For storing and displaying *product* info, XML is in fact a very good
substitute for a database and may even have some advantages. I would
recommend handling it server-side, tho. What blog software is being
used? PHP, ASP and ColdFusion will all play very nicely with XML. This
will get around browser issues and allow you to write as well. For
more options, look into XSLT as well.

As someone else said, however, don't try to roll your own transaction software.

Good luck,
Mike