[thelist] XML as poor man's database?

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Mon Jan 30 09:44:21 CST 2006

Tom,

   I concur with others that you can set up a perfectly functional site,
including a relational database, without spending a lot of money. Jeremy
already suggested PHP for the coding. I would add mySql for the database
(holding the product list), and PayPal for the financial transactions.
Almost any ISP will support PHP and mySql, and you can download them to
your machine, along with Apache, for a local development environment. I
set up my wife's small business site last fall with just this technology
and it's worked fine. If you want to hear more about this combination,
contact me off-list.

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.