[thelist] Smooth scrolling on anchor links not on same page

Jacob Reiff jacob at jaacob.com
Tue Jan 31 15:56:34 CST 2006

The site I'm talking about: http://tinyurl.com/byzgd

The issue: Because the site has a large header, people with smaller
screens (or small browser windows by choice) may not be aware that
the content has changed beneath the header when they have clicked. As
a fix, I am using anchors to make the page jump down to the content,
but I think the user experience is jarring.

Is it possible to utilize javascript to start the page at the top and
then scroll (quickly, I'm not trying to be annoying here) down to the
content? I think it would provide a nicer experience (if done quick
enough), plus I want to make sure that users know the navigational
elements are still above what they are reading.

If anybody has a solution - or a better one altogether that I may not
have thought of, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Jacob