[thelist] Intranet Freezing

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Feb 2 18:39:49 CST 2006

This is a mis-statement of what actually occurs.

Access supports up to 256 concurrent connections. However achieving that in
real life is, difficult :-)

However a well written application can certainly support tens of thousands
(if not more) requests per hour (I know, I've had to tweak such sites to
scale their performance whilst they transitioned to something else)

Web Applications built on IIS can (and should) utilize connection pooling.
This is lower level than ASP (you never see it in action), but basically
means the OLEDB layer maintains a pool of physical connections and hands them
to your ASP pages as required. This means you can support hundreds of clients
with only a handful of "real, physical" connections, because the OLEDB
Resource Pooling layer abstracts the actual connections from the pages.

However you have to follow proper coding practices otherwise you'll defeat
connection pooling, dramatically reducing scalability. Here are some
excellent links worth reading:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmdac/html/
pooling2.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=191572

I haven't posted these links in 6 months, so I suppose it's that time again
:-)

Cheers
Ken