[thelist] Logo Contest Question

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Sat Feb 4 13:52:34 CST 2006

> "You were the only entry. Here are your $100. We will be using
> another logo that we developed in-house. Thank you for participating".
>
> Don't ...
> > Lie.

If you'd rather hurt his feelings than lie, that's a valid choice.
It's a judgment call.

> You: "Our attorneys discovered a simular logo in use. We are
> wimps and don't want to get in trouble."

Where I come from, trademark infringement is due cause for litigation.

> Designer: "Oops. That is interesting. Could you point me to that
> prominent logo, please? Just to satisfy my curiousity?"
> You: "Here comes trouble..."

No.  Me:  "I didn't see it.  Anyhow, we really do thank you, but our
lawyers say we shouldn't use it.  These things happen to the best of
us.  Good luck."

> "The truth shall set you free" (The Bible)

Oops, I hadn't gotten that far.  I'm still back at the part about
selling my daughter into slavery.</sarcasm>

The God I worship cares about human kindness.  When Aunt Bertha asks
me what I think of her preposterous hat, I say something kind, but
less than truthful.  When my kids ask me if Santa Clause is real, I
tell them "No, but it would be really mean to go around disillusioning
your friends."  Sometimes, kindness trumps truth.

(But I thought that religious discourse was off-topic for this list.)

I'm not saying that the lie I suggested was the only or the best way to
handle the situation.  It's just something I would seriously consider,
if I was concerned that I might hurt the guys feelings.  Your kindness
may vary.

"I would often rather be kind than be truthful."  (Me)