[thelist] Logo Contest Question

Joseph R. Dietrich joseph at joespace.net
Sat Feb 4 14:12:27 CST 2006

As a designer, I say tell him the truth. Critique is something that art
students have to deal with, or have to learn to deal with if they don't
already know how.

It's also possible that if you tell him that you don't like it so much, he
might come up with something better to save his pride (assuming he has pride
in his work). He might even be willing to do the work for you for free to
make something you *do* like. I know if it were me, I'd ask "really, what
don't you like?" and work with you to come up with something both of you are
happy with.

I know that's what I'd do if I were him.

Even if you don't use the logo and can't work with him, I'd be surprised to
hear he had a legal case to bring against you just because you didn't use
it. After all, it's not like we are talking monetary damages to his career
here (of course I am not a lawyer by any means, and if you are really
worried about it you might ask one about this point).

But in any case, don't lie about the deal.

Ciao,

Joseph R. Dietrich
joseph at joespace.net