[thelist] Active Agenda logo (was RE: Logo Contest Question)

mattias at thorslund.us mattias at thorslund.us
Tue Feb 7 17:21:40 CST 2006

Quoting "Canfield, Joel" <JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org>:

>> > gnarly iconoclasticism, dude
>> >
>> > yeah, just my opinion, but you got your money's worth
>>

>> You're entitled to your opinion :-)
>
> gah!! not at all what I meant. Here's what I meant: "You got an really
> cool logo that I love, and got it for a great price."

Thanks... No offense taken. Ever. All feedback is good anyway.

> when is someone gonna create an 'already sent the email' backspace tool?
>
>> We used The Logo Factory.
>> http://www.thelogofactory.com/
>
> I'll give 'em a look, because I like your logo. I do. It's cool. It says
> things to me.

I intentionally avoided mentioning the company we hired since I don't know
whether our experience was better or worse then what we would have had with
their competitors. There are a few others to choose from as well.

What's important to remember when buying something "tailor-made for you", is
that a good result can only happen if you participate in the process,
providing
all the feedback and ideas you have.  Don't accept what you're being offered,
unless you're truly happy with it.

The Logo Factory do seem to have their process pretty well down.  They started
with a questionnaire asking for everything about our company, what
we're about.
We were assigned to one of their artists, who provided three initial drafts -
those looked pretty much like stock clip-art, I'm afraid. As I remember, we
rejected them all, and sent him some ideas we had been coming up with, one of
which was the seed of the "peace sign/pie chart" that we eventually
decided on.

We were pretty particular in our feedback on each iteration, and our artist
would pick up on most of our directions, and ignore some.  Well, the
reason you
hire an artist is to benefit from his creativity, so that wasn't always a bad
thing. The end result was a good blend of his ideas and ours.

They never told us we had "used up the hours" or anything. Instead, each
iteration seemed to take a few days longer, we were getting further and
further
down the priority list. So, the whole process did take longer than the
couple of
weeks they advertised. That wasn't a big deal to us, since we preferred to get
it "just right".

A whole-hearted recommendation? Maybe not, but it's certainly possible to get
the logo you want if you engage in the process.

Best,

Mattias