[thelist] Quicktime video problem

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sat Feb 11 04:08:00 CST 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 00:27, Dominick Cancilla wrote:
> Alternatives are very welcome -- the person who owns the site really wants
> the video to play in the window as opposed to having it downloaded.
You're supposed to offer the direct download as an *alternative*, underneath
your embedded things, so the user has something to fall back on if your
players don't work for him.
I'm sure the owner would really want everyone to visit his site with the same
hard and software as he has, but that's not the way the web works.
If he insists on a relatively obscure technology like embedded quicktime, he
will be "hearing from some people (particularly in Europe) that they can't
see the content." for a long time, as you can expect at least 60% of visitors
not to be able to see it.
It is like saying 'only people wearing pink pajamas can come into our shop',
and then being surprised you don't get a lot of customers.

RIchard.