[thelist] Client-side code to upload all files in client directory?

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Mon Feb 13 13:26:19 CST 2006

This has everything to do with browser security.  If a user gives you the proper permission (by domain name or whatever), then you can access his file system.

Of course you can write ActiveX or Java objects that can do this, but again, it depends on what the user allows you to do.

 From: "Brooking, John" John.Brooking at sappi.com

Hi, list,

I've been writing some PHP/GD image manipulation code to assist in
uploading lots of files and doing automatic resizing on them. (I know
there are tons of free photo display sites out there, but I wanted to be
able to build my own pages, so I'm writing some PHP objects to be an
"image gallery API".) I just spent a few hours last weekend uploading
several dozen images through my software, which automatically makes a
thumbnail and a screen-sized image of each.

For about 20 minutes last night, I had the bright idea that I could
automatically upload all files in a given client directory at once, and
save myself mucho time. It wouldn't even be that hard! Then, as I was
explaining it to my wife, it dawned on me: DUH! I can't do that! I can't
iterate a client machine's directory from server-side code! What was I
thinking?

On further reflection, I'll be there's some client-side code around
that will do this - iterate a client directory and output the results to
some control on the page, which can then be submitted to the server.
Maybe an ActiveX or Java applet? Anyone know of anything like this? I'm
sure it's possible. Just curious.

- John