[thelist] <ol> just for lists where order in important

kasimir-k evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Mon Feb 13 18:49:54 CST 2006

Geoffrey Sneddon scribeva in 13/02/2006 20:07:
> One of the few things I'm not sure about after reading the HTML spec
> is whether a <ol> should be used just when order in important (eg. a
> recipe) or when there is any order (eg. members listed alphabetically).
>
> Which is correct, or is it just a grey area in the HTML spec?

I wouldn't say there's anything grey in:
"An ordered list, created using the OL element, should contain
information where order should be emphasized".[0]

In a list items always appear in some order - the question is wheather
this particular order is emphasized or not. Both a recipe and an
alphabetical member list can be represented as <ol> or <ul> - the list
does its job perfectly with both. Even a list in random order could be
presented as <ol> if the randomness of the order should be emphasized ;-)

.k

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html