[thelist] Municipal CMS Systems

Steve Clason stevec at topdogstrategy.com
Tue Feb 14 11:10:27 CST 2006

Norman Bunn wrote:
> A city of 10,000 is asking me to develop their second generation web
> site and I am looking for anyone's experience with open source CMS tools
> to meet this need.  Like most of us, I do not have the time to look at
> every single CMS out there and fully test it to see what best fits, so I
> am looking to the Evolters for help.  What experiences do you have to share?

We did this site a couple of years ago for a fast-growing town of 10K
(haven't touched it since so I'm not sure what shape it's in):

http://ci.erie.co.us/

CMS is FarCry, an open source Cold Fusion product:

http://farcry.daemon.com.au/

We've since used FarCry a lot (dozens of sites, small and large) but the
IT dept at the Town selected the CMS originally after a pretty thorough
review of the options, then asked us to implement it.

FarCry does well with news and events and I think that was the kicker.

--
Steve Clason
Web Design & Development