[thelist] PDF's: To New Window or Not To New Window. This is thy Question

Rob Smith rob.smith at lexjet.com
Thu Feb 16 09:52:59 CST 2006

Seriously,

One of the owners came down and asked a simple question. Why don't we
have the .pdf's open in the same window? I said, basically because the
industry does it that way, thereby most of the world expects pdf's in a
new window, thereby making a habit of X'ing out the window with the PDF
in and closing their browser. To add, if pdf's opened in the same
window, they'd lose the entire site, get frustrated and not come back
because little ol' me, made the site experience annoying.

He said, "Oh."

What's your experience on this topic?

Rob Smith
LexJet