[thelist] [OT] Stolen laptop + Rails tip

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Feb 16 16:13:30 CST 2006

Ian,

Windows (2000, XP, 2003 Server) provides something called EFS (Encryptable
File System) which you can use to encrypt sensitive files/folders. The
encryption/decryption is transparent to the end user, and uses keys derived
from your user account logon to provide security.

Someone who has your hard disk would, generally, not easily be able to access
your files, without your username and corresponding password.

For additional security, you can get a laptop with a TPM (Trusted Platform
Module) which can store certificates in a tamper resistant hardware module
located. However I don't know an OS that natively provides encryption support
based on certs in the TPM. Vista will have that support (AFAIK), otherwise
you'll be using a 3rd party piece of software.

Cheers
Ken