[thelist] Plagiarism

Symeon Charalabides symeon at it.nuigalway.ie
Fri Feb 17 05:45:24 CST 2006

Hi Simon

> Name and shame?

It's up to you if you want to do that, but it could easily escalate to a verbal
war, where there's only your word against his. I believe, in general, it's
regarded as a "low" tactic

> Report them to google?

Google only cares about content, not where it originally came from. It's none of
their business and that's what they'll tell you. You have to sort it out with the
offending party.

> Get the lawyers in with a cease and desist?

"Cease and desist" is the first step, but you can take it yourself. Just send
them a detailed e-mail (keep a copy for the lawyers) and make it clear that you
expect a reply from them within a reasonable amount of time. If they fail to
comply, you'll have some smiling lawyers who'll take it from there.

> Any advice from similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, most of my conviction on the above comes from theory. I'm sending you a
very good resource offline, as I couldn't find it on the www anymore to link it.
Hope it goes well.

Symeon Charalabides (cosmopolite trainee)