[thelist] Wordpress as non-blog tool.

BJ bj at kickasswebdesign.com
Tue Feb 21 13:06:28 CST 2006

>I was considering Wordpress since it seems
>to be the "in" thing now  :)  No, actually I am just really curious and
>would like to try it out.
>
>The page will be a home to this person's publishing and research work.
>So it will have "news" on the front page once in a while, but not a
>blog per se. Most of the pages will be static.

I've used WordPress often for mini content management for small business and nonprofit folks who aren't very computer savvy. It works very well since the learning curve on it is fairly gentle. I do include a simple text file readme with the sites I set up just to give the basics of admin and posting, it saves some handholding later on.

The WordPress "Pages" function is the one that your friend will use to create the "static" pages (they aren't really, but hard to explain to a non-geek) I've used the blogpost area for a "news" section -- press releases, events, things of a time sensitive nature. You can set up the blog archive to only appear on blog pages with a custom sidebar for "Pages" (page.php) and a different one for all the other blog template files.

A couple "gotchas" to watch for. I'm not sure about version 2.0, but in 1.5.X the "Pages" are not searchable. That can be fixed with a plugin which works quite well. Also, in version 1.5.x if you use a nice, search engine friendly permalink structure you have to edit the .htaccess file (or make it writable) every time you create a new "Page" in order for the permalink structure to work correctly for that "Page" (it does it on posts automatically.) My experience has been that this is fixed in version 2.0.X

--
Ciao for Now,
bj

http://kickasswebdesign.com
devblog: http://kickasswebdesign.com/wordpress/
Kickass WebGeek Resources: http://kickasswebdesign.com/webgeekdir/
Automapit SiteMap Service
http://www.automapit.com/sitemap102.html

"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" --Linus Torvalds

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound says I'm squeaky clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0608-0, 02/20/2006
Tested on: 2/21/2006 2:06:30 PM